Monday, May 3, 2010

My Country 'Tis of Thee


Caught: I don't watch TV to "learn," my first reaction when I hear the words "educational programming" is to gag, and the extent of my historical knowledge is derived from the few episodes I caught of "The Tudors."

Luckily for me, however, the sneaky folks over at HISTORY (the channel... not just the noun) are giving me my life's dose of American history in the form of crazy CGI technology, sexy men, and jaw-dropping plot lines (and by plot lines, yes, I mean the factual account of how our nation was created). It's almost like they fed my prescription education pill stuffed in the middle of a delicious scoop of ice cream. Yep... just like Momma used to do it.

America The Story of Us premiered on April 25th to a record breaking audience for the network. It's no surprise really... especially when you take into account the Avatar-esque effects and delicious man candy selected to portray all of the colonial superstars (i.e. John Rolfe, Paul Revere, and Daniel Morgan just to name a few). It's truly amazing... before the show's premiere you could have told me that the colonists arrived to the new world on a ship called "The Black Rock," met these people called the "others," and broke bread with polar bears and dead people.

Yes, I'm exaggerating...

...well, sort of.

Anyway, if you have not been watching the show, you should; if not to be thoroughly entertained, at least watch it for some grade-A cocktail hour conversation tidbits. You can watch it Sunday nights at 9/8c on HISTORY. Do it for George Washington, do it for me, but most importantly do it for yourself... you great American, you!

1 comment:

  1. love this. but seriously... who do we have to flirt with to get the aforementioned colonial man candies' phone numbers??

    ReplyDelete